[Asterisk-Users] Broadvoice problems again

Charlie Hedlin charlie at hedlin.com
Mon Jul 26 05:24:55 MST 2004

I just find it very interesting that my service worked FINE through a
supported device and didn't through Asterisk.  If they have been up all
night to fix this problem and it was worked around for other users
(maybe not all supported devices worked...) it shows a great commitment
to all their users, even the "unsupported" ones.

I will try and send a message with the information on how the Cisco 7960
registered with a subject that might get read by a larger audience of
experts to see if we can get Asterisk to support it.

For those who missed my second message, my 7960 worked fine when
Asterisk wouldn't.  I traced the phones network connection and found
that it did everything through broadvoice's proxy servers.

Broadvoice has two proxy servers, but the only way to get both of them
is to use SRV records for proxy.broadvoice.com.  The cisco 7960 kept its
registration current through BOTH proxy servers, so that if anything
went down the failover should have been nearly instant.

Asterisk doesn't seem to be able to use the proxy servers.  All the
configurations that have been posted omit them, and broadvoice omits
them.  We when we send our registration to phone:pass at sip.broadvoice.com
it works. This is the same username/password pair and domain the Cisco
phone used, but it sent it to proxy.lax.broadvoice.com and
proxy.dca.broadvoice.com, niether of which went down (and aparently they
were able to connect to another backend server other than the sip
servers advertised as sip.broadvoice.com).

Charlie