[Asterisk-Users] Anyone heard of BroadVox direct?

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Thu Jul 22 21:28:06 MST 2004

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Jay Milk wrote:

> Just received:
>
> Cognigen is very proud to announce the official launch
> of Broadvox Direct, a new VOIP service.
>
> Broadvox Direct offers unlimited calling plans to
> anywhere in the US and Canada for a low monthly payment starting at
> $29.95 and basic accounts as low as $12.95.
>
> http://cognigen.net/broadvox/?mu
>
> Anyone know who's behind that?  It's not BroadVoice, is it?

Nope.. CEO is Jeffery Williams, someone I know from the Cleveland ISP
scene. Good guy. I've had many a decent discussions with him. He used to
run the company "Now Online" and got hooked up with BroadVox after that
company was sold. He brought in a Cisco 79xx series phone to show me about
2 years ago, and showed me what Broadvox was planning on doing. As far as
I know, they are using SoftSwitch technology with Cisco termination at the
Central Office level. BroadVox has a signficiant, well etablished
business, while BroadVox Direct has been spun off to handle the
"residential" arm.

As for Asterisk, I don't think they are using it, and if I understand it,
they are simply offering SIP termination w/ DIDs. Should work fine with
Asterisk, but I think they are shipping Sippura as their ATA. I can give
him a call and see what he is up to next week when things settle down for
me.

                             KP-216-121-ST