[Asterisk-Users] VSP? Looking for advice.

Chris Shaw chriss at watertech.com
Thu Jul 22 15:58:07 MST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Hartman" <jhartman at teknikosinc.com>
To: <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 2:19 PM
Subject: [Asterisk-Users] VSP? Looking for advice.

> Has anyone tried using BroadVoice for VSP?  I have Asterisk configured
> for a home office & I've been trying to decide which VoIP provider to go
> with for a little while now.  I had heard you could get sub $.01 calls
> but I have not found that to be true yet (not saying it's not possible,
> I just haven't found it!).
>
> Also I'm not sure if BV will support multiple lines.  Any suggestions
> would be very appreciated.
>
> My main goal is to present a professional image (vm, multiple
> extensions, MOH, etc - Asterisk!) while accepting calls on multiple
> lines.  I would like to have 2 incoming DID's and most likely a third
> for fax.  I haven't researched Asterisk/fax yet.
>
> I am currently spending around $50 a month with Vonage.  My intention
> was to continue to use Vonage then forward directly to my VSP assigned
> DID (haven't found any that have a local # for me or offer LNP).  Since
> I would continue paying for the Vonage service (it will forward to my
> cell in the event that the PBX was unavailable) I really would like to
> keep my costs down by finding the lowest priced VSP out there.  I don't
> make calls to Europe or Canada.
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Jason

I've used BV for about a month and a half now and I love it. BV is only
19.95/Month (About $22.00 if you add fees). Unlimited Local/LD and very good
coverage, almost as good as Vonage... The voice quality is excellent, they
have a few problems here and there but they are very quick to respond.

BV Plays very well with *. They don't officially support it, but they are
one of the most * friendly VSPs I've seen yet...

As for multiple lines, they do offer multiple virtual numbers but unless you
want it to look like you have multiple lines, you don't need to do that...
VoIP by nature supports multiple calls to the same phone number without the
need for "Trunk Lines" I don't know if they *support* having multiple
simultaneous calls (I do know it works though I've tried...), but I wouldn't
think they would have too much of a problem with it because they support
3-way calling which is basically the same thing as having 3 simultaneous
conversations...

-Chris