[Asterisk-Users] * INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE ASTERISK COMMUNITY - PLEASE READ NOW *

Walt Reed asterisk at linuxguy.com
Thu Jul 22 11:20:47 MST 2004

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 10:52:11AM -0500, Jay Milk said:
> Are we on this again?  How about letting the list-owner(s) decide what's
> appropriate here, rather than wasting bandwidth discussing what you guys
> think is proper list-etiquette.  Some people differ from your opinions
> and their reasons are just as valid as yours.

The problem is that the community is growing. It's no longer a few guys
in their basement playing with phones. The mailing list volume is
growing right along with it. You have to remember that this mailing list
is one of the few real support channels that exist for *. The S/N ratio
is getting pretty bad. Most of us don't have the time to spend all day
long to sort the wheat from the chaff.  The lack of good ettiquette has
destroyed the digest version of this list, and the archives are close
behind. How is a noob going to research before posting when the list is
full of crap, threads are broken by lazy outlook users, etc?

A few bytes spent urging the list admin to become more proactive in
improving the quality of ths list is a great investment if the end
result is an improvement in the content and usability of this list. I
realize he's probably overworked and has a bazillion other things to do,
but this really is a problem that needs to get fixed for the good of the
community. I've seen what happens to mailing lists that degenerate like
this one is. I would prefer that this not happen with *-users.

FYI, one typical post by an apathetic user who doesn't trim probably uses
more bandwidth than this entire thread.