[Asterisk-Users] RAID affecting X100P performance...

Dana Nowell DanaNowell at cornerstonesoftware.com
Thu Jul 22 08:57:57 MST 2004

In an article on IDE vs. SCSI I read that MTBF numbers for IDE were
frequently caculated at 8 hours on 16 hours off per day (assumes desktop
usage) but SCSI drives were calculated at 24hrs on per day.  So even though
the MTBF numbers look the same ...  The main reason is, reportedly, better
quality controller parts and motors.  Before someone asks, no I don't
remember where I read the article (probably via slashdot), you might try
google.

At 05:57 AM 7/22/2004 -0700, James H. Cloos Jr. wrote:

>Steven> oddly enough, there isn't much if any difference these days at
>Steven> the physical level. It is just the interface and the set of
>Steven> specs on the interface. SCSI drives usually will give you
>Steven> warning of their problems.
>
>As I hear it, the scsi drives (and the sata drives that are not a
>(integer) multiple of 10 Gigs) do still have better bearings, qa,
>et al than the pata and pata-derrived sata drives.  At least with
>some of the brands....
>
>I expect this will continue, with sata drives being size and cost
>driven and sas quality and reliability driven.
>
>-JimC

Dana Nowell     Cornerstone Software Inc.
Voice: 603-595-7480 Fax: 603-882-7313
email: DanaNowell_at_CornerstoneSoftware.com