[Asterisk-Users] Large Enterprises using asterisk

Sunrise Ltd stsltdtyo at yahoo.co.jp
Thu Jul 22 07:16:06 MST 2004

Michael Little wrote:

>Unfortunately, not everyone knows how to use Linux.

While I don't disagree with your comments in general, I
take issue with the notion that Asterisk automatically
means Linux.

In fact I believe that the headline "Asterisk - the open
source Linux PBX" on the official Asterisk web site does
more harm than it does good, especially when it comes to
recognition in the enterprise market.

Mark likes to characterise Asterisk as the Apache of
telephony. Well, I agree with that but Apache would have
never got where it is if it had been marketed as "Apache -
the open source Linux web server".

The Apache website describes Apache as "The number one
HTTP server on the internet" (see:
http://httpd.apache.org).

It goes on to say "an effort to develop and maintain an
open-source HTTP server for modern operating systems
including UNIX and Windows NT".

Perhaps it is time to think about getting a hint from the
Apache folks and represent Asterisk on the official
website as

"Asterisk - the number one open source PBX on the
internet"

and "an effort to develop and maintain an open-source
telephony server for UNIX based operating systems
including Linux and BSD."

As for the enterprise market and telecomms, you'll find
that there is a lot of stuff out there that runs on SUN
gear with Solaris. It would do us very well if we could
get some contributors from the Solaris camp to replicate
for Solaris what has been done porting Asterisk to BSD.

This is the sort of thing that will get Asterisk
consideration from and eventually penetration in the
enterprise market.

Last but not least, the Asterisk BSD developers deserve
all our kudos and appreciation. They certainly don't
deserve to have their work be overlooked by making
statements which give the impression that Asterisk is a
Linux only thing.

rgds
benjk

--
Sunrise Telephone Systems Ltd
9F Shibuya Daikyo Bldg., 1-13-5 Shibuya, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, Japan