[Asterisk-Users] X100P panic

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Jul 21 19:12:23 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 17:49, steve at nexusuk.org wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Steven Critchfield wrote:
>
> > I'm betting by that module list you had X up, and you have a TV capture
> > card, maybe even trying to capture video. I bet you where even doing it
>
> It probably did have X up, yes..  and it does have a TV card in the box.
> However, the TV card wasn't being used and it still crashes without X
> running, so I can't see that's the problem.  The X100P is also not sharing
> any IRQs with anything else.  Unfortunately, at the moment that machine is
> the only "always on" machine I have got with any free PCI slots.

X affects performance. X should be interuptable by the kernel. You need
to make sure you don't have a console frame buffer too. It will eat your
system up with interupts.

> > on IDE drives. If so, your answer is obvious.
>
> Yes, it's got an IDE drive running in UDMA133 mode so there shouldn't be a
> lot of interrupt load from that.  That particular box quite happilly MPEG4
> encodes video off the TV card in real time whilest playing back MPEG4
> video at the same time without dropping frames so it shouldn't have any
> problem at all dealing with a single phone line while it's completely
> idle.

Video is probably polled 30 or 60 times a second, and the card is either
using onboard memory to buffer data or it is using your video cards
memory. Digium hardware runs 1k interupts a second and has no buffer.
With all those modules running, you may be able to get many functions
backing up waiting to handle their respective interupts.

> > On the chance I am wrong, start unloading those drivers and see if you
> > can still crash it.
>
> I'll give that a go tomorrow if swapping the kernel doesn't help, but I'm
> not holding out much hope - an Athlon 2000 really shouldn't have problems
> handling 1 phone line, and even if it does it shouldn't bring down the
> entire machine in the process.

I'm running multiple T1 lines on a PIII 800, but that is all it does.