[Asterisk-Users] Astricon costs...

Steven Sokol ssokol at sokol-associates.com
Wed Jul 21 17:34:41 MST 2004

> Has anyone really looked at the costs for Astricon.  But the hotel costs.
> $111.00 USD per night.. come on guys give me a break.  I will not be
> staying at that hotel.  I can rent a car and stay near the air port for
> almost half that.
>
> In addition from what I have been told their will be no shuttle
> service from the Airport to the hotel.
>
> Anyone else have any input on this?

Guys, the hotel costs are $111.00 including tax per night.  That is actually
very reasonable for a decent hotel.  I'm willing to bet that the place you
found for 1/2 the cost of the Marriott is not capable of hosting a
conference for 150 - 200 people.

The other issue is that Olle and I are on the hook for a minimum of 135
hotel nights at the conference.  If we don't book and pay for 135 nights, we
get billed for the difference.  Without the tax (at $99/night) that comes to
$13,365.00 USD less the rooms sold.

I really don't want this to come off as a whine, but we are working very
hard to keep the costs down for everyone.  We selected Atlanta because it is
generally one of the least expensive destinations from anywhere in the
world.  We selected the Marriott because it is offering _much_ better room
rates than any of the other hotels which can handle a conference.

As for the shuttle service, I have spoken with the hotel manager and she
tells me we can get airport transportation set up for $20.00 each way.  (We
negotiated a $5 discount off the normal $25.)  So if you want to avoid the
rental car expense, we can arrange transportation for an additional $40.00.

We will put this up on the web site tomorrow.  Once you have your flight
details arranged, go back to the AstriCon site and find the "Hotel & Travel"
links.  We will have a form or instructions to sign up for shuttle service.

For what its worth, if you need some variety of financial aid to attend the
event, we will be happy to trade event labor for a discount off the price of
the conference (not the rooms - that's set by the hotel) for a limited
number of students who wish to attend.  Just email me off list and we can
probably work something out by way of an "internship".

If anyone on the list lives in the Atlanta area, has a valid chauffeurs
license and wants to make some extra cash, please let me know.  We will send
business your way.

We really do want to make this show accessible to everybody.

Thanks

Steven

Steven Sokol
Owner/Manager