[Asterisk-Users] RAID affecting X100P performance...

Mike Benoit ipso at snappymail.ca
Wed Jul 21 12:14:29 MST 2004

I have a P3-800 with two IDE drives in a software RAID1 configuration.
Each drive is on a separate IDE channel. Now anytime there is HD
activity, I hear "beeps" and "cutting out" on a call using the X100P
card.

I ran the zttest program, and discovered HD activity would drop the
accuracy down to between 2% and 50%.

However I noticed if I disabled one drive in the RAID1 array, zttest
would always report 99.98% or higher. So one drive running works fine,
but as soon as I enable the second drive, all hell breaks loose. DMA and
32-bit mode are enabled on both drives as well.

I have a backup server with two Promise PCI IDE controllers in it, with
4 drives in a software RAID5 configuration, so just out of curiosity
sake, I stuck a X100P card in it and tried running zttest while the RAID
was re-syncing. The results were pretty bad.

--- Results after 384 passes ---
Best: 36.779785 -- Worst: 1.562500

Is this a poor mainboard issue, or is it actually not possible to do IDE
software RAID on a machine running Asterisk with X100P cards?

Is anyone currently doing it?

Thanks.

--
Mike Benoit <ipso at snappymail.ca>