[Asterisk-Users] Future installation questions - what do I need?

Michael Little mlittle at iqep.com
Wed Jul 21 11:58:13 MST 2004

I currently have a Toshiba Strata DK424 with a Stratagy voicemail system
(4 ports).  I am looking to go from having a receptionist answering the
phone to an automated attendant.  It appears that Asterisk can be the
solution, but I have some questions.  Do I just replace the Stratagy
with the Asterisk or do I need to reconfigure the routing of the phone
lines?  Currently, the POTS lines come in to the Strata phone system.
Would I need to have the POTS lines come in to the Asterisk then connect
the Strata to the Asterisk?  The Strata is equipped with an automated
attendant, but only having 4 ports causes dropped calls.  At the current
time, we just want to use the automated attendant and voicemail
features, but we intend to start using VoIP and SIP.  Finally, which
cards do I need to purchase?  I am not familiar with all the
terminology, so I am a little confused with FXS and FXO.  Once I figure
out where things need to go, I think it would make things a little
easier.  All our phone lines come in on POTS lines, but we may change to
PRI at some point.  I understand that this will change which cards I
need.  I have mainly been looking at the Digium cards do to pricing.
The Intel (Dialogic) cards seem to be a lot more expensive.  Are the
Intel's any better than the Digium?  Any assistance would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Michael