[Asterisk-Users] DID VoIP trunk provider for metro Chicago, LA and/or Orlando.

Chris A. Icide chris at netgeeks.net
Tue Jul 20 11:22:20 MST 2004

On 10:41 AM 7/20/2004, Carmi Weinzweig wrote:
 >I want many phone numbers so that each phone in my facility has its own
 >phone number, but I really do not need that many simultaneous calls and
 >it would be cost prohibitive to pay several dollars for each phone
 >number.

It's a different business plan.  By going to a VoIP provider, you alleviate
the requirement for hardwware you lease or own to terminate PRI's at
multiple locations and distribute the calls to your end users.  So, you
aren't paying for the physical T1 and associated hardware.  The VoIP
providers are now incurring that cost and must recuperate it (unless they
are operatiing under the '90s dot com business plans in which recuperating
costs is not required - but you better be ready to turn up a new provider
on a moments notice if you are using one of these).  So in the past if I am
understanding you, you would buy a PRI and pay some fee for the T1 itself,
as well as $0.01 to $0.10 per number assigned.  In this case, you want to
not pay the T1 fee but still pay low per number rates.  Maybe if you talked
to the providers they might come to a different pricing plan for you that
emulates the old way and gives you a better bang for the number?

-Chris