[Asterisk-Users] Echo on a PRI

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue Jul 20 06:38:38 MST 2004

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 09:22, Ryan Thrash wrote:
> Oops. I need to correct my last post: I don't have the PBX in the mix.
> My config is dual Xeon 2.4s, 1GB RAM, HW SATA RAID, SuperMicro
> X5DAL-TG2 motherboard connected to:
>
> Telco - PRI (T100P) - Asterisk - SIP Phones (Budgetones 102s/Snom 200)
>
> The premise is still the same though: echo present despite our digital
> PRI that *should* make this impossible. It's usually only echo on our
> side when calling out as has been discussed here previously ad nauseum
> with no one being able to really figure out its source. I wish I knew
> where to really start poking around to try to help get to the bottom of
> this.

No, the PRI does NOT make echo impossible.  It makes it highly unlikely that
YOU will generate echo.  You never hear echo YOU generate; you hear the echo
being generated on the other side.

Has anyone you've called complained of echo?

My * servers are SuperMicro 7043P-8R; single Xeon 2.8 HT processor in a
dual-capable X5DP8-G2.  More than enough balls to get the job done, but
perhaps some PCI issues?

Norstart Meridian MICS (12 PSTN trunk lines) -> Adit600 FXS -> T100P -> IAX2
-> TE405P -> Bell Canada PRI

The IAX2 link is only one hop (* server connected to each side over a PairGain
Megabit Modem 300S on a dedicated ethernet port).  Long distance calls are
through Nufone and my internet link to Nufone is 8 hops.  I have never heard
compliant of echo when calling long distance, only through our local PRI.

Regards,
Andrew