[Asterisk-Users] PSTN gateway implementation?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Mon Jul 19 13:58:38 MST 2004

> -I have a TE405P board and only one T1 worth of phone lines (24)
> connected to it using an Adtran TA750 channel bank.

Any particular reason against using PRI from your telco?

> Is Asterisk capable of handling multiple incoming VoIP calls arriving
> from the same source (IP) or do I need to get something else to take the
> incoming traffic and pass it on to Asterisk? (I've read about using SER
> as a SIP proxy, but it's not clear to me wheather I need it or not). Can
> I use the OpenH.323 module to take care of the incoming VoIP traffic?

Asterisk can handle multiple calls from the same IP without any worry.  Your
main worry is the lack of real billing since you're terminating to analog
PSTN instead of using PRI -- you have no way of actually knowing if the call
was answered or not, so he'll be billed on every call.  I doubt you want to
try and work with callprogress=yes.

-A.