[Asterisk-Users] Current echo status?

Joshua McClintock joshm at singlestep.com
Thu Jul 15 16:47:42 MST 2004

We're using asterisk in production at my place.  We have about 45 users
(33 snom 200 sip phones and the rest on soft phones).  We're connected
to the telco via a pri (23 useable channels) using the digium t1 card.
We have another t1 card hooked to an adit 600 channel bank for analog
services.

Internally, sip2sip calls, you can't hear any echo.  Anything that heads
out over the pri is really pretty good.  Unless you have cyborg ears,
you don't hear much, if any echo (at least the users haven't
complained).

One thing that bites on the snom 200 is the speaker.  It seems to be
very choppy sounding.  Someone here seems to think the VOX chip is junk,
but I really don't know what the deal is.

We've plugged in our normal (analog) conference phone via the channel
bank and it kicks butt.  The adit 600 is a good device.  We can
send/receive faxes (the standalone modems seem to be ok as well, though
I haven't seen at what rate their connecting at, we only use 'em for
payroll and the postage machine so pry 9600).

The PoE seems to work flawlessly (we're using the powerdsine 24 port
midspans).

Out of 33 snom phones, 1 couldn't use PoE (external ps works), 1 worked,
but the internal ps seemed to give out, now it won't power on at all, 1
spontanously reboots, and 1 seems to have a problem with it's on hook
button.

Watchout who you buy them from, as the company we ordered from is a
disgrace, getting these rma'ed is a total pain (still not done).  I
would almost suggest setting yourself up as a reseller and buy directly
from the closest distributer (I don't know if they charge a fee or not).