[Asterisk-Users] Current echo status?

Kyle Hagan khagan at nuvoinc.com
Thu Jul 15 16:33:12 MST 2004

Scott Laird wrote:

> I've been following the list for months, and I have a working Asterisk
> setup, but it'd be *really* useful to me at this point if someone
> could summarize when Asterisk has echo problems and when it doesn't.
> For instance, I usually hear a far-end echo when talking on my 7940,
> but not when using a POTS phone plugged into a TDM400 FXO port.  It
> doesn't seem to matter if the call goes out over a POTS line or via
> NuFone; either way there's a fair bit of echo on most (but not all)
> calls.
>
> Do different SIP phones have better echo cancellation then the Cisco
> 7940/60s?  How about the Polycom IP500/600s?
>
> Does it matter if calls go out via POTS/T-1/PRI/VoIP?
>
> The general impression that I've received is that "fast" channels
> (basically traditionally telephony interfaces) don't exhibit
> noticeable echo, but the slight delay associated with VoIP
> packetization unmasks existing echo.  Is that a reasonable summary?
>
> We're starting to plan for a new office build-out at work, and I'd
> love to use Asterisk and SIP phones in the new office, but I'm not
> going to try to sell management on a phone system with a horrible echo
> problem, even if it will get fixed eventually.

I have an Asterisk system I have been testing for about a year for work
and I have NO echo problems.

I just setup an * server at home with a generic $11 ebay X100p clone at
home and had terrable echo when dialing out POTS. I was able to reduce
it by changing the TXgain and echocancel set to on. But its still not
perfect like my REAL DIGIUM card in the office PC. I can live with how
my home phone is but it would not be good for my office system. Thats
what I get for trying to go cheap. I would definately recommend Digium
hardware, or at least a major brand supported by * no clones.

Kyle
www.quadrasoftware.com
Asterisk Receptionist, CallerID and applications.