[Asterisk-Users] VoicePulse changes

daryl at introspect.net daryl at introspect.net
Thu Jul 15 07:23:35 MST 2004

I'm a bit displeased at the way this happened.  I received an email from
VoicePulse.  Here's some excerpts:

------------------
>We're sending you this important update so you can take advantage of
improvements we've
>been making to your VoicePulse Connect! service.

>We've been working hard on improving the audio quality and reliability
of your Connect!
>service, and this notice contains important information about
configuration changes you'll
>need to make to maximize your performance.

[...]
>DESCRIPTION OF CHANGE
>New switches have been added to handle IAX2 TERMINATION.  The purpose
of this change
>is to provide customers with the ability to use all of the latest audio
codecs available
>in Asterisk's stable CVS branch, and to provide additional redundancy
for terminating calls.

>Some key points regarding this change are:
>
>- The new switches listed below are the latest stable branch of
Asterisk
>- The previous method for terminating IAX2 calls using Connect! will
cease to be available
>   at midnight (GMT) on August 15th, 2004.
>- We recommend all customers using Connect! for IAX2 termination begin
using the new
>   configuration immediately.

---------------------

Note "The previous method for terminating IAX2 calls using Connect! will
cease to be available at midnight (GMT) on August 15th, 2004."  The
message I got was at 1:51 AM EST.  That means I was given negative 5
hours and 51 minutes to make this change.

And even worse, my DIDs form them no longer work (sits as "Request Sent"
forever....never actually registers).

Just though I'd toss this one out there in case anyone else is having
problems, or possibly didn't see/didn't get the email.

Why, oh why is it so hard to find a stable DID in my area? (Philly)
IConnectHere is flaky, VoicePulse....well, we've covered that, and
NuFone, while rock solid and never giving me any problems, doesn't have
their non-Michigan DID's available yet.

And please....maybe I'm asking for too much, but any good DID provider
should be able to call forward your DID to whatever number you choose on
1.) failure of their systems or 2.) loss of connectivity to the remote,
no matter who's fault it is.  This should be automatic, seamless, and
the forwarding number should be changeable by the account holder on the
fly.

Daryl G. Jurbala
BMPC Network Operations
Tel (PA): +1 215 825 2107 x235