[Asterisk-Users] Digium Cards in Boxes without Power Connectors

Greg Hill gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us
Wed Jul 14 12:04:02 MST 2004

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Nik Martin wrote:

> >> This may work for you.
> >>
> >> http://www.thermaltake.com/products/subzero/subzero4g.htm
> >>
> >     you lost me, its a processor cooling device. it doesnt provide
> > any power that could be used for a digium card.
>
> This card is AC powered, and has a drive power output plug, normally used
> for a case fan.  It's drive output could possibly be used to supply the
> Digium card

make sure it's got nice clean outputs; you could end up introducing ripple
and other noise into your system supplies by connecting a card intended
just to drive a fan.

Also, if the Digium card is wired such that the +5 on PCI and the +5 on
the power connector (for example) are wired together, then you could
potentially have problems because the two power supplies could try to
drive slightly different voltages onto the supply bus and end up toasting
something.

Greg