[Asterisk-Users] Starting up considerations.....

Brent Franks mwless at mindworks.net
Wed Jul 14 10:17:01 MST 2004

I know this has been covered before, but could someone please explain the
benefits to starting asterisk various ways.  I am partly posting this too,
to see if my assumptions are correct.

Is call quality affected by starting it differently?
	My belief is no.  Regardless of how you start it, quality will be
	the same... Correct?

So far, I have used:

	asterisk -vvvgnc
		If you are logged into a TTY on the physical machine,
starting this way, is no problem.  However, if you start Asterisk like
this remotely, once the session is killed, the asterisk program dies.
Makes sense...

	safe_asterisk
		Starting like this, will use the Asterisk startup script
provided by the CVS, located in sbin.  This is a good way to start
remotely. No?

	screen -d -m asterisk -vvvvgnc
		Just another way to start remotely?

So basically, they all do the same thing.  Complexity is introduced only
when you want to auto-start asterisk on bootup.  You would want to use
screen for this..?

Any thing I have overlooked, please post to the list.  All of the other
posts right now all point to personal opinions as to which is best.
Technically speaking though, from a call quality standpoint, there should
be 0 difference?

- Brent