[Asterisk-Users] VoIP hackers gut Caller ID

Alan Laird alaird at musiciansfriend.com
Tue Jul 13 18:45:36 MST 2004

Steve Kennedy wrote:

>There are a few circumstances when called ID can be blocked (it's
>rumoured certain spook agencies have this ability), however if a "user"
>withholds CID, then it's just flagged at the local switch and passed
>switch to switch with the withold CLI flag. The terminating switch
>should then NOT pass on CLI if the withold flag is set on to an end-user
>line.
>
>Of course some agencies will get CLI passed even if the withold flag is
>set (in the UK, Police, fire, etc, potentially even ISPs for abuse
>purposes - but they are not meant to abuse the privilige).

IIRC this is two distinct cases.  CID (by various names) is whatever the
originating party (customer) wants to say it is in the case of a PRI.
ANI is correctly populated at the RBOC when the call enters the SS7
fabric.  This means that no matter what I stick in the CID field, a call
to 911 will pull up the correct address based on ANI.

In my config I manipulate the outbound appearance for a variety of
reasons and use 9, 99, 8, or 88 prefixing the outbound call to allow the
user to control their call appearance.  This allows various classes of
calls to have a useful number in case the person you called wants to
return your call and go directly to your station or the correct call
queue.  For example, when someone outcalls from the credit card
verifications team the CID will allow the person called to return their
call and bypass the IVR prompting.

Then again...  I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

Alan