[Asterisk-Users] Problem with multiple phones behind firewall

Wiley E. Siler wsiler at e2020inc.com
Tue Jul 13 15:31:29 MST 2004

Do you have these values set?

externip
localnet
localmask

-----Original Message-----
From: Harold Workman [mailto:hworkman at cytelcom.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 1:25 PM
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Problem with multiple phones behind firewall

Hi,

I am having a problem when I add multiple phones behind a Symmetric
Firewall.  Heres my situation.

11am - Phone A registers with *
11:01am - test call to Phone A.  Call works fine.
11:02am - Phone B registers with *
11:03am - test call to Phone A fails, test call to phone B works fine.
11:04am - test call from Phone A to Phone B and vice versa works fine.
11:05am - Phone A re-registers with *.  Test call to Phone A works fine
now.

This happens on almost all occasions.  When I see one phone register
behind a firewall, i then see the "Retransmitting #5 (NAT):" messages,
until I received the "Jul 13 15:11:09 WARNING[1133718080]:
chan_sip.c:673 retrans_pkt: Maximum retries exceeded on call
0576f80274aebde8796e5d4b2444c2a9 at 64.72.107.10 for seqno 102
(Non-critical Request)"

I have nat=yes in my sip.conf file.  I have tried using the qualify
command, but I have never been able to get it to work behind a symmetric
firewall to both a unknown sip phone and xlite.
The moment I turn on qualify, I see the Options request sent out, and on
the client see the options request, but I never see a response on * from
the clients.

Here is what my sip.conf looks like...

[general]
port = 5060
bindaddr = 64.72.107.10
context = exten
maxexpirey=3000
defaultexpirey=300
disallow=all
allow=alaw
allow=ulaw

[123456]
type=friend
secret=k3v1n
nat=yes
canreinvite=no
host=dynamic
dtmfmode=rfc2833
context=cytelmain

[789012]
type=friend
secret=cytel
nat=yes
canreinvite=no
host=dynamic
dtmfmode=rfc2833
context=cytelmain

What else is there for me to try to resolve my NAT problem with multiple
users behind a symmetric firewall?

Thanks,

Harold

To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit: