[Asterisk-Users] notransfer

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Mon Jul 12 19:09:46 MST 2004

AsteriskList [tiago at crdusa.com] wrote:
> what does the command NOTRANSFER in IAX.CONF?
> where do i find asterisk´s commands?
> In the website, VOIP-INFO.ORG I did not find anything regarded to
> NOTRANSFER commands unfortunatly.

If transfer is allowed then a call may be "transferred" from one
IAX2-driven service to another in order to reduce the number of hops
between endpoints.  If the endpoints are both IAX2-driven then they
could automatically transfer to talk directly to one another.
Notransfer prevents this and keeps the Asterisk server "in the loop".

The same is possible with SIP.  See "canreinvite" in sip.conf, which
can be set to "no" to prevent the actions described above (when using
SIP instead of IAX2, of course).

IAXtel (when it works) allows transfer to keep itself out of the loop
and to allow the endpoints to talk directly.  FWD allows canreinvite
(SIP mode) and allows transfer (IAX2 mode) to reduce its bandwidth
usage to the bare minimum.

If none of this is in the Wiki (I didn't check) then feel free to add
it.

There are other ways to keep Asterisk in the loop and prevent transfer
or re-invitation.  If the 'T' or 't' flags are passed to Dial() then
Asterisk will have to remain in the loop to listen for the '#' tone.
I know that this will prevent a re-invitation in SIP.  I imagine the
same is true for IAX2 transfers.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz