[Asterisk-Users] feature - VM gain adjust?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Jul 12 09:08:33 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 09:31, Seth Remington wrote:
> What about a "post processor" that performs Compression/Normalization on
> the recorded voice mail file?
>
> On the down side I can see this being a big CPU hog if you are handling
> a huge amount of calls and trying to normalize a 5 minute long voicemail
> at the same time.
>
> On the upside you don't have to concern yourself determining line loss
> or similar things. You also wouldn't have to worry about what I call the
> "Seinfeld Syndrome": quit talker / loud talker issues. You would just
> have two new variables in voicemail.conf - normalization=yes or no and
> another to set the db value.

While I have tried to stay out of the comments here for a while, I would
suggest not going post processing. While it might get the problem fixed
for now, it isn't a good long term solution.

I have experienced similar trouble with recordings from AGI. We have
some recordings that where dead on sound wise, and others that ended up
being so soft as to be useless.

Would it be something people would like to be able to add filters to a
line? Consider normalization as a filter. Monitor could then be moved to
a filter as well. Echo cancel could be a filter. Set it up so multiple
filters could be added and chained together. This could help those with
echo chain a couple of filters together and see if that helps.