[Asterisk-Users] E1 config help and guidance

tim panton tpanton at attglobal.net
Mon Jul 12 08:38:14 MST 2004

See inline comments...

asterisk wrote:
> Darren,
>
> Many thanks for your help - I've got further, but am still stumped. Have a
> look at the following table:
>
> LED   |   ISDN    | Asterisk
> ------+-----------+---------
> OOS   | Out       | Red
> ACT   | Green     | Green
> RED   | Out       | Red
> YEL   | Out       | Out
> LBK   | Out       | Out
> CC    | Out       | Out
> DCH   | Green     | Green
>
> The LED indicators are as follows:
>
> OOS: Out of Service
> ACT: Active State
> RED: Red alarm state detected (Could be Loss of carrier, loss of frame or
> loss of crc multiframe
> YEL: Yellow alarm state detected (remote alarm indication from remote end)
> LBK: Loopback mode
>  CC: Clock controller not equipped
> DCH: DCH is established.
>
> What this table indicates is that if I plug the 2MB pri card from the nortel
> into the EuroISDN bearer box, the leds light up as shown in the ISDN column.
> If I plug the nortel card into the asterisk box, then the leds light up as
> shown in the Asterisk column.
>
> I would have expected the leds to light up in the same manner - am I missing
> something ? Apart from asterisk experience :)

Couple of things to look at:
	1) Darren's config assumes you have plugged the _whole_ thing
together ie PSTN->*->nortel ie 2 e1 connections - your table above
implies that you are doing one then the other. This won't work
because the config tells * to get the timing source from the PSTN.
	2) I've _never_ had any luck using crc4, I always turn it off
and only put it back if someone complains.
	3) If you have been struggling for a while you may have
strayed onto the telco's 'badboy list'. I have one installation
where I misconfigured it once and they marked the interface as
'down' at the exchange. Nothing worked untill I rang them, whereupon
they marked it as 'up' and things started working (once I'd fixed the
config).

Tim.