[Asterisk-Users] New Asterisk bounty: SIP simultaneous

Paul Mahler pmahler at signate.com
Sun Jul 11 18:11:28 MST 2004

Well, this is certainly getting exciting.

Andy, I took your advice and re-read the RFP. Andy--I don't think you are a
good candidate for a beginner's book on *, but if you send my your address,
I'll send you a copy on me. :-)

So, gentlemen, help me out here. The spec says:

"The Address of record is the "SIP address that the registry knows the
registrand. .  .""

"A  Sip message is either a request from a client to a server or a response
from a server to a client. "

"A client uses the REGISTER method to register the address listed in the TO
header field with a SIP Server."

And as Nick so cogently pointed out

"Once a client has established bindings at a registrar, it MAY send
subsequent registrations containing new bindings or modifications to
existing bindings as necessary.  The 2xx response to the REGISTER request
will contain, in a Contact header field, a complete list of bindings that
have been registered for this address-of-record at this registrar."

I don't see how two different clients can register with a server as the same
address of record. Doesn't the second registration from a new client change
the address of record for the registered client?

If the second client is trying the same registration as the first client,
and it's the responsibility of the client to provide the complete list of
bindings, how does the second client know the list of bindings for the first
client that bound the registration?

So isn't this the problem * has? The first client registers as the address
of record, then the second client comes in with the same registration and
becomes the address of record?

Andy, I'm in your hands.

Paul

Paul Mahler