[Asterisk-Users] QoS in asterisk

Paul Mahler pmahler at signate.com
Sun Jul 11 17:04:57 MST 2004

Well, the question may not have been about QoS, but my answer certainly was.
QoS is defined as "The performance specification of a communications channel
or system. (188) Note: QOS may be quantitatively indicated by channel or
system performance parameters, such as signal-to-noise ratio (S/N), bit
error ratio (BER), message throughput rate, and call blocking probability."

Quality of Service (QoS) is a general term for an abstraction covering
aspects of the non-functional behavior of a system, for example delay.

I think what we have here is what we are going to see a lot of--cultures in
collision. The PSTN folks had QoS issues long before it became an IP issue.

I think what you are alluding to is routing specific IP QoS. IP supports QoS
in the IP header, those pesky tos bits you were talking about. Asynchronous
transfer mode (ATM) natively provides QoS. The IEEE 802.1p standard covers
QoS in all IEEE 802-type networks.

Even in networking, QoS is first and formost an abstraction before it
becomes a specification. "QoS is the ability of a network element (e.g. an
application, a host or a router) to provide some level of assurance for
consistent network data delivery."

QoS is most certainly an issue when making the decision to move off the
PSTN. Is the performance of your VoIP system going to be comparable to the
performance of your PSTN system? Sounds like a reasonble question to me.

Paul Mahler
pmahler at signate.com
Signate, LLC
665 Third Street