[Asterisk-Users] New Asterisk bounty: SIP simultaneous registry

Greg Hill gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us
Sat Jul 10 22:11:49 MST 2004

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, Kannaiyan Natesan wrote:

>     When I call a SIP user, the phone should ring in more than one
> extentions. Also more than one phone should be able to register with
> asterisk. Right now it is not the case. The last phone which register will
> be receiving the calls. This type of situations might be needed in call
> centres.

I think I understand now what you're looking for. But under an arrangement
like this, how will asterisk know when a phone which had registered from
some IP has re-registered itself sometime later on a different IP? Such a
situation could happen in a dhcp environment. Automatic time-outs may be
able to avoid or minimize the impact of something like this. What other
difficulties might come up?

Although the idea does have appeal, it seems like the increased potential
for problems outweighs any inconvenience incurred by modifying a line in
extensions.conf.

Greg