[Asterisk-Users] Rollover oddity

Bob Bailey asterisk-04 at enstar.net
Fri Jul 9 03:31:30 MST 2004

Hello Jay,

>I had something similar happen -- or so I thought.  Turns out my *
>wasn't configured right, and the call-waiting blip was generated by
>Asterisk as it was detecting ring on the second line.

In this case, to try to see where the problem lay, I connected
just the first line to Asterisk. The second line went directly to
a handset, and Asterisk wasn't involved with it at all - so I
don't think it's the same issue you experienced.

I made a call using the first line through Asterisk, to busy the
line.

Then I called in from outside onto the first line. The telco
should have detected the line was busy, and rung on the second
line instead. They did not. The caller just hears the line
ringing.

If I take Asterisk out completely, and busy the first line with a
handset directly connected to the line, and repeat the
experiment, the rollover happens correctly.

> Without your
>extensions.conf and as much info as you can provide (hardware, extension
>phones, etc) nobody's going to be able to tell you more about your
>problem, though.

That's fair enough. I'm fairly new to Asterisk, so wasn't sure
what sort of debug info is of most use in this type of
scenario...

extensions.conf starts like this, and goes off into other
contexts. I can post the whole file if you feel it's relevant.

|  [inbound]
|  exten => s,1,Wait,1
|  exten => s,2,Answer
|  exten => s,3,NoOp,${CALLERID}
|  exten => s,4,ResponseTimeout,10
|  exten => s,5,AbsoluteTimeout(60)
|  exten => s,6,BackGround(g-us-f-enstarwelcome)
|  exten => s,7,BackGround(g-us-f-dialextension)
|  exten => s,8,BackGround(g-us-f-choose)
|  exten => s,9,BackGround(g-us-f-mailtraq1)
|  exten => s,10,BackGround(g-us-f-nc2)
|  exten => s,11,BackGround(g-us-f-other3)
|  exten => s,12,BackGround(g-us-f-again)
|
|  exten => 1,1,Goto(mailtraq,s,1)
|  exten => 2,1,Goto(neatcomponents,s,1)
|  exten => 3,1,Goto(other,s,1)
|  exten => 8,1,Goto(inbound,s,1)
|  exten => t,1,Goto(inbound,s,6)
|  include => localextensions

Hardware is perhaps a bit on the low side - a 'recycled' Windows
box, PIII, 350Mhz. The extension phones are standard POTS phones,
nothing fancy at all.

I am wondering whether it may be somehow related to the line
length: we are a long way from the exchange (beyond DSL reach,
for example), so I wonder if there are some settings I can use to
compensate for that?

Bob