[Asterisk-Users] VoIP hackers gut Caller ID

Nicholas Bachmann asterisk at not-real.org
Wed Jul 7 20:45:11 MST 2004

rich allen wrote:

> this is really simple, companies like Nortel, Lucent need to change
> their code for caller id, if the number should be blocked then dont
> transmit it to the far end switch

That's a really bad idea.  Even worse than top-posting.

My local PSAP should know what number I'm calling from, because I'd like
police/fire/EMS units to show up at my house if I can't tell them where
I'm calling from. My phone company would also enjoy knowing where the
call came from for the sake of preventing toll fraud from any Tom, Dick,
and Harry with a SS7 connection.

If CLID is blocked (or "presentation restricted" in SS7 ISUP parlance)
only networks should see the Caller*ID, never users.  This is a
situation where network operators must not abrogate their responsibly to
make and enforce policy; software solutions to policy problems are never
panacean, just as policy can't fix an unencrypted password file.

Nick