[Asterisk-Users] New PBX Help

Bisker, Scott (7805) sbisker at harvardgrp.com
Wed Jul 7 07:11:24 MST 2004

First , you need to see what your insurance policy covered.  If it covered replacement, then the easist thing for you to do is make the claim and replace your old pbx through a local service provider(asterisk or not).

Second if you know next to nothing about pbx's and phone, then the time it takes you to learn asterisk, or whatever you choose, means no phones for your company's employees  which in turn could equal more lost revenue, etc.

Depending on your familiarity with linux, the learning curve could be steep and prove frustrating considering everything else you'll be dealing with (new network infrastructure, new computers, new servers, new telco/data circuits).  Less expensive components does not always equal cheaper.  Before I installed my system I knew tip/ring and some T-1 stuff on the telco side.  It took me 3-4 months to get completely comfortable with asterisk and all the other telco things before I deployed my asterisk system, which replaced a working legacy pbx.  The most difficult thing was the telco side.  There are many ways to get dialtone, and telco engineers aren't always forthcoming with information.  They are used to dealing with vendors that know what they know.

my $0.02

-sb