[Asterisk-Users] RE: is srv lookup being done when REGISTERing?

Jasminko Mulahusic jasko at fakat.com
Wed Jul 7 05:12:02 MST 2004

> It's correct that neither the SRV lookup is handled correctly or
> completely, nore is there in standard distro a way to register with the
> proxy for a domain, if those names differ.

ok. let's fix that.

> It wasn't a difficult task to change this.
> If there is interest I might release the patch for this as part of
> another development.

yes please. thank you!

> The syntax I implemented was this:
> register =>
> user[:secret[:authname[:displayname]]][@domain]@proxyhost[:port][/contact]
>
> Would this fit your needs?

i guess so. i cannot say for sure as i do not know how the syntax
above would affect uri:s in the REGISTER message.

> Or any other ideas?

why is not an SRV lookup being done first for the proxyhost and if no
answer received than do an A lookup for proxyhost (as explained in
rfc3263)?

> There is also the option of expanding, or better redesigning, the [peer]
> sections with proper and logical configuration options
> and adding a register=yes flag.
> Both have been tried, and have their pro's and con's
> Any thoughts?

would that affect register => ?

[ i was thinking of registering asterisk with a provider through which
i will be able to receive incoming calls from the pstn].

what is causing problems (at least for me) is that domain and
proxyhost are treated as same things. for instance, when i am
transfering call thru a sip extenstion it is sending INVITEs with the
uri sip:user at proxyhost to the host proxyhost instad of uri
sip:user at domain to the host proxyhost. let's just make sure that the
meaning of domain and proxyhost are well understood in the sip context
and are treated right.

jasko