[Asterisk-Users] New CVS for patch...

Jay Milk jay at skimmilk.net
Tue Jul 6 08:42:44 MST 2004

Ok, here it goes:

I know CVS and I know how to program.  I don't know much about linux
program installation.  I have a WORKING asterisk based on CVS from
04/2004.  It's running and, as of three days ago, it's in production as
well (production = my wife's using it without knowing it).

I want to patch voicemail.c to allow for configurable pager-messages.
Looked at the code, and I know I can do that in 10 minutes.  Once done,
I'm planning to make this "patch" available to the community, provided
the paperwork (release form etc) takes less time than the actual patch.

Of course I know that I should based my modification on the
latest-available code, but I'm a bit reluctant to upgrade my WORKING
asterisk to the latest CVS.  Can I rename my asterisk-dir in /usr/src to
something different, then check out the latest CVS, make my changes, and
if it doesn't work, revert to my working version?  Or will Make and its
friends throw me for a loop?

Thanks
-- JM