[Asterisk-Users] Playback over Console

Chris Foster masteryoda305 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 22:02:34 MST 2004

Thanks for responding. I figured it out.

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 22:22:37 -0600 (MDT), Greg Hill
<gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us> wrote:
> I suspect that after Dial has happened the auto-answer connects you to the
> console, and the call doesn't reach Playback until after the console hangs
> up.

Which is exactly right.

> As for how to do what you're after.. I dunno! Maybe you can find a way to
> "pick up" the console as if to dial from the console out to somewhere and
> issue the Playback then.

Sort of. It turns out that Dial has option that does exactly what I
want, namely, play a tone over the speakers (console) to alert people
that somebody is about to speak/

A(x): Play an announcement (x.gsm) to the called party.

Put that in Dial's options and Asterisk sends it out to the caller,
which is exactly what I wanted.  You can find more in the Tiki

The only bad part about all of this is that my roommate found a
air-raid siren sound, and so now when you call you don't get a tone
but a 2 minute long warning that a tornado is approaching. I'll have
to change that.