[Asterisk-Users] Playback over Console

Greg Hill gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us
Mon Jul 5 21:22:37 MST 2004

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Chris Foster wrote:

> I'm trying to setup a primitive announcement-paging system in my house
> using the line-out from my * box to a cheap amplifier that runs to
> speakers on our first and second floors from the basement. I have a
> extension that connects to Console, and console is set to auto-pickup.
> I'm using alsa drivers.
>
> This all works great, except for one thing. I want to play a tone over
> the console after the console picks up. What i'm doing right now is
> calling Playback after the Dial. However, No playback sound or
> background sound is being heard over the console speakers or are any
> error messages appearing in the command line.

I suspect that after Dial has happened the auto-answer connects you to the
console, and the call doesn't reach Playback until after the console hangs
up. Watch the CLI while you make the call to see if this is what happens
(and try issuing a hangup command at the CLI to see whether you get the
Playback sent to whatever device placed the call).

As for how to do what you're after.. I dunno! Maybe you can find a way to
"pick up" the console as if to dial from the console out to somewhere and
issue the Playback then. After it completes, hangup and Dial() the
original call to the console, with auto-answer turned on.

Greg