[Asterisk-Users] Music on Hold via IAX

Deon Rodden drodden at webunited.net
Sun Jul 4 13:56:14 MST 2004

Weird problem.

We have 3 PRI's and 1 5 year old Channelized (Channel bank?) T1 (24 lines,
not pri, no caller id support). Incoming calls run into a Cisco, from there
it gets sent to the Main Asterisk server.

Now, when I have it go to an extension, and have |m  at the end to play
music during the ringing of the phone, and this works no matter which T1
they come in on. However, I just migrated the office to a 2nd Asterisk
server, and I push the calls from the Main asterisk server to the 2nd
Asterisk. Now, with CVS-HEAD about 2 weeks ago, if I had that 2nd Asterisk
server play music while ringing a call group or an extension, it'd be normal
if the calls came in on the PRI, but when they came in on the Channelized
T1, as soon as the party would answer the call would be disconnected.  As
soon as I disabled the music while ringing, things worked normal. The
interesting thing is, if calls came in from the 3 PRI lines, they'd hear the
music while ringing, no problem. Caller answers, things work normal.  I just
updated Asterisk CVS Head to 7-3-04 and now, when I put back the Music while
ringing setting, the callers hear nothing, just silence while the phones
ring. When the party answers, the call stays/works as normal. Just no music
while ringing, at least not down the old 24-Line T1.  Strangest thing. So
instead, for now, I put a |r there instead of |m so that it plays a ringing
sound, now when the caller calls, they do hear the ringing sound while the
phones ring.

Some sort of Asterisk bug must have been fixed to make it at least not
disconnect the call, but no clue why they don't hear music, but do hear
ringing if I use r instead of m. Any ideas?

Now if they come in on the PRI lines, they hear the music while ringing, or
ringing while ringing (if I use |r), etc. just like normal.

btw... was that ringing bug w/ Asterisk ever fixed? Last I read (about 2
weeks ago), it hadn't been because the developers were having a hard time
recreating the problem. I had to use the workaround, putting a r at the end
of every dial string.