[Asterisk-Users] Pager Notification

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sat Jul 3 13:41:53 MST 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-03 at 11:14, Chris Travers wrote:

> >>Does Asterisk support pager notification of new voicemails out of the
> >>box?  Or do I need an AGI script to do that?
> >>

> >AGI isn't the route for this. Most pagers support an email gateway, just
> >use it. Maybe you need to trigger it with a procmail rule.
> >

> I was asking because my customer specifically wanted Asterisk to call
> the pager.  My own idea was that if email notifications would not work,
> I could use an agi script to send the pager number to a message queue
> and make the calls out in an async fashion.  I am quite aware of the
> nature of the limitations of AGI in this setting, but they want this to
> be handled this way because it is what their customers are used to.

So we are in a multiple layers of customer problem. The reduced
flexibility is understandable.

While AGI itself isn't the answer, you need to make sample.call files
for each of these accounts and just copy them in when needed. Still
smells of a procmail rule to do the actuall work and use the pager
address of voicemail to trigger it.