[Asterisk-Users] Remote SIP client HACK JOB

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at backtobasicsmgmt.com
Fri Jul 2 10:10:33 MST 2004

Ryan Courtnage wrote:

> With or without externip set in sip.conf, the headers send to my SIP client
> (with nat=yes) will look exactly the same... no difference at all.

But have you tried nat=no? You missed the important point of my previous
message, that since you are using port forwarding, your Asterisk server
_does not think the SIP client is external_!!! Given that, it has no
reason to use the externip setting in the SIP headers.

Even with nat=no, this will still be a problem, because Asterisk is not
aware that it can be contacted on two different addresses. I don't think
that you can solve this problem without help on the machine doing the
port forwarding; that means either a SIP proxy sitting there, or if it's
a Linux machine there's a possibility that a netfilter SIP module could
be created that would handle these things without having to get in the
middle.

In fact, I've got plans to create a netfilter SIP module in the near
future (next 30-60 days)... just need to find the time. Maybe I'll post
it on the wiki and see if anyone wants to put a bounty on it :-)