[Asterisk-Users] Caller ID Presentment on PRI...

David C. Troy dave at toad.net
Sat Jan 31 08:23:18 MST 2004

Hey folks,

I have a T100P card with a PRI; when doing outbound dialing over the PRI,
I can use SetCIDNum(2024561414|a) to force caller ID to display as "The
White House" on a land line.  This is apparently done as a reverse lookup
by Verizon, as I do not hand the PRI the words "The White House" --
202-456-1414 is an actual White House number.

Using SetCIDName("Flying Pigs") makes no difference to what is displayed
on the remote landline.  It still says "The White House" or whatever the
reverse lookup is for the number supplied.

What I am wondering is whether a PRI has to have some feature turned on
in order to inject the textual Caller ID name data, or whether this is
just how PRI's work in general.  And if so, who controls the reverse
mapping, and how does that work with CLEC phone numbers, etc?

Is anybody out there currently able to set CIDName to be something
different than the reverse lookup name?  My goal is not to spoof the
White House, btw, but it makes a fun example.

Thanks,
Dave