[Asterisk-Users] Question on setting up asterisk with hunting lines

samuel.au.gt at elitecorp.com samuel.au.gt at elitecorp.com
Fri Jan 30 20:34:46 MST 2004

*My apologies if this message is posted 3 times, I was trying to sent it to
the list once before I am a list-member, the second time before I was
approved.

Can anyone point me to some resources on using hunting lines with Asterisk?
Sales support of my telco have no idea what I am trying to do.   They asked
what pbx system I am using, I was like Aster... never mind =)

I am trying to setup asterisk to take in 5 hunting lines.
Where one phone number would get published as our companies main IVR entry
point, and the calls will get distributed into the Asterisk system internal
extensions via the 5 available hunting lines.
I am lost here.
When a customer dials the main number, does it (A) get call transferred to
an available channel by a dial plan with asterisk, or  (B) the telco
automatically checks to see if the main number is busy and transfer to the
next hunting line?

If (A), do I flash, dial to the available hunting line with my dial plan,
and disconnect the original call (similar to a 3 way call conference).
Would this even work on a external telco line?
If (B), this would be simple, I would assume Asterisk can listen to all 5
fxo and run the same IVR script

Here is my setup.

5 FXO hunting lines/19 FXS analog phone goes to a channel bank, then to a
Digium T1 card.

Thanks in advance,

Sam