[Asterisk-Users] Compiling while * is running

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Jan 30 13:41:39 MST 2004

> Anyway, thanks for bringing my bad math to my attention.  So, here's the
> question: has anyone worked on a phone system that DID have 5 9's?  I'm
> not talking about core services that AT&T Long Lines owns, I mean
> customer-premises equipment.  Is that an unrealistic goal?

I've never seen a phone system with five 9's reliability at CPE.  That's why
I refuse to promise it myself.  Four nine's is easily attainable with
regular PC-grade hardware.

Five 9's is 315.576 seconds over a year, or five minutes.
Four 9's is just shy of an hour of downtime a year.

Our Meridian system isn't even meeting four 9's, but admittedly you can
schedule a lot of the _truly_ down time to weekends / off-hours.

Regards,
Andrew