[Asterisk-Users] Re: Compiling while * is running

Stephen R. Besch sbesch at acsu.buffalo.edu
Fri Jan 30 13:39:29 MST 2004

David Gomillion wrote:

> I don't agree.  When first learning to program, my programs segfaulted all
> of the time, regarless of what machine I was on.  Often, it was doing
> something stupid, like trying to replace a file that was in use, etc.

I knew that was a problem in windoze, I did not think it was a problem
in linux.

> On my machine, compiling took ~2 minutes, for all 3 pieces (zaptel, libpri,
> and asterisk).  To get 5 9's (99.999% uptime), you need to be up for 13.9
> days (check my math... it's been a while).
>
> My suggestion: if this downtime is unacceptable for your use,

The question was not regarding the amount of downtime, it was in the
interest of minimizing it.

  then get an
> identical machine, exactly alike in all ways, including library versions,
> hardware, etc, and compile it on that machine.  Then copy the appropriate
> directories over to your production machine.  Copy the production machine's
> directories to a safe location, stop * and zaptel, copy the new compiled
> things over, then restart * and zaptel My guess is that 30 seconds should
> be plenty of time for this change.  Thus, you only need to have been up for
> the last 3.47 days to have 99.999% uptime.

If there are no other problems, sure.  My last update took more like 15
minutes, and there were no compile errors the first time through,
nevertheless, a second compile of one of the modules was needed (why??).

> Either that, or maybe if uptime is so critical, you should have a "hot
> spare" machine on-hand at all times.

Everyone would like that, I'm sure.

> Anyway, just some thoughts.
>
> David Gomillion