[Asterisk-Users] Can Asterisk act like a normal sip phone?

Philipp von Klitzing klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Jan 30 08:57:45 MST 2004

Hi!

> the product offerings for me.  I am looking for a phone number in .de
> that will map by ENUM (and of course, by PSTN-to-SIP) to one of my *
> servers.

Both nikotel.de and sipgate.de offer such a number. With Nikotel you'll
need to spend at least 7 € per month for such a number (which is a very
good deal). I don't think they run ENUM.

With sipgate.de this in-dialing number is for free - currently you can
have a number in Düsseldorf (D), capital of the "state" Nordrhein-
Westfalen aka "the biggest state in the union", 0211 area code, or London
(UK) or Reading (UK), more German cities will follow soon. They reserve
the right to cut the free services at any time or start charging for them
- who wouldn't have guessed that; they remain owner of the in-dialing
phone number. Their FAQ says they are planning on IAX support in the near
future. IP-2-phone tariffs will follow in February. They are running SER.

  search => enum1.sipgate.net
  search => enum2.sipgate.net

If you check the persons in charge you'll find that this company is
closely linked with "www.netzquadrat.de".

> I have family who communicate regularly with people in .de and other
> nations in Western Europe, and I'd like to give them the people in
> Europe who are not Internet-savvy a way to reach us without overseas
> toll charges.

You could also use their FWD or IAXtel gateway:

enter at +49 211 58000 100
or at +44 20 7127 6200

and then dial

   IAXTel (000700)
   Freeworlddialup (000393)
   iptel (000477)
   Sipphone (000747)

>  At the same time, I'd also like to have an EU "presence" for my own
> reasons.

Hehe - for the .eu domain you'll have to wait until October or so. But I
guess that's not what you meant. ;->

Cheers, Philipp