[Asterisk-Users] Incoming Voice/Fax Discrimination?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Thu Jan 29 14:12:05 MST 2004

On Thursday 29 January 2004 12:46, Bob Klepfer wrote:
> I'm evaluating * to replace the crap set of peered "smart" phones we
> have now in our small office, but I haven't been able to find out
> about this anywhere yet:  I need to know if * can discriminate
> _incoming_ FAX calls on a voice line and route them to a specific
> extension?

Yes, as long as you use Asterisk as of this week (which is when the
fax detection code was fixed in the new DSP routines) or you define
OLD_DSP_ROUTINES in the central Makefile.

When an incoming fax comes in, Asterisk will attempt to start the
"fax" extension, if it exists, which you should program in the dialplan
to go to a fax machine.

One caveat, though:  the sending fax machine MUST send the special
fax tone or it cannot be detected as a fax call.

-Tilghman