[Asterisk-Users] Incoming Voice/Fax Discrimination?

David Gomillion dgomillion at eyecarenow.com
Thu Jan 29 13:45:03 MST 2004

Bob Klepfer wrote:
> I'm evaluating * to replace the crap set of peered "smart" phones we
> have now in our small office, but I haven't been able to find out
> about this anywhere yet:  I need to know if * can discriminate
> _incoming_ FAX calls on a voice line and route them to a specific
> extension?

Yes, you have to define an extension (f, I believe, or maybe fax) in your
incoming dial plan.  This can point to some experemental software or a phone
extension.  I couldn't find it on the wiki, but I know it's out there
somewhere...

Ok, according to a Google search I did with the search terms "asterisk fax
extension", the extension should be named "fax".  You would put it in a dial
plan just like any other extension, except when * detects a fax, the call
will just jump right there.