[Asterisk-Users] H 323 + Netmeeting test drive

Diego Fernandez diego.fernandez at thenetfirm.com
Tue Jan 27 10:50:32 MST 2004

Hi to everyone,

I am dealing with my primer Asterisk installation and we are trying to
set up a H323 server in order to use Asterisk to place calls
between NM clients (also Gnomemeeting).

I have a basic extensions.conf file:

[general]
static=yes
writeprotect=no

[default]
exten => user1,1,Wait,1
exten => user1,2,Answer
exten => user1,3,ResponseTimeout,4
exten => user1,4,Hangup

exten => user2,1,Wait,1
exten => user2,2,Answer
exten => user2,3,ResponseTimeout,4
exten => user2,4,Hangup

And I have an even more simple h323.conf file:

[general]
port=1720
bindaddr=192.168.1.1
tos=lowdelay

[user1]
type=friend
host=192.168.1.2
context=default

[user2]
type=friend
host=192.168.1.3
context=default

With this configuration, I managed to see some debug when a h.323 debug
command is dropped in the CLI> command line, but none of the users see
the call.
User 1 has Gnomemeeting (me), the other one has NetMeeting.
To be fair, I don't know exactly how to set up properly both clients to
work fine with Asterisk, so maybe I might be a misconfiguration issue.

Of course I have compiled the Pwlib and the OpenH323 modules and set
them up, I have no errors nor warnings about these modules, I have a few
ones regarding to Oss modules and Iax, but they don't bother me at the
moment.

Is there any other issue I must pay attention to in order to see calling
messages in those VoIP clients??

My Linux test machine (where i run both Asterisk and Gnomemeeting
client) doen't have its sond card set up properly and i have some error
from Gnomeeting when a make a call, but the other peer does not get any
call.

Hopefully some of you guys, will so patent to give me some light on that
problem?? I need to show something clear to my manager and we'll not
have anything to make a decission.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Diego Fernandez

PS: Some Asterisk IRC users gave me some ideas about not using H323 and
go to SIP, but my first goal has to be make the thing wotk with
netmeeting clients or similar (SIP) but free, and afterwards make a
decission about other options.