[Asterisk-Users] Is it possible to push the media processing off to a gateway for processing?

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Sun Jan 25 02:15:52 MST 2004

T. Chan wrote:

> I think what Todd was referring to was to JUST do the signaling proxy on the
> Asterisk but not proxying the media.
This is the definition of a SIP proxy. Asterisk is a PBX that supports SIP, but
not really a SIP proxy. As a PBX, it wants to be in the middle of a call. As an
additional feature, it can release the media stream to the SIP devices if these
are on the same network, either outside or inside of a NAT, but not on two sides.
And this only works if the device supports a SIP re-Invite.
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+sip%20canreinvite

Use SIP Express router from iptel.org if you want an excellent open source SIP proxy.

> as well. I was thinking of doing the same thing if possible with H323, I
Can't help you here, Jeremy?

/O