[Asterisk-Users] Snom 200 phones not working.

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri Jan 23 06:32:12 MST 2004

Ariel,

> I have 2 Snom 200 and would like to get them to work properly with
> Asterisk.  With the Firmware 2.02t I am able to use the phone.  But only
> one line configured.  With there newer firmware 2.03o it will not allow
> me to make calls.  But I can get calls on the unit.  Again the 2nd line
> is not able to be registered.  Is this an issue with Asterisk or Snom?
>
> I could use some example configuration files.  I have followed the Snom
> FAQ step by step.  But it's still not working.

I just upgraded my 200 to v2.03o and its working fine with two extns
defined. I happen to be using * CVS-12/04/03-14:24:40 on the same wire
(no nat, etc).

My sip.conf entries look like:
[3007]
type=friend
host=dynamic
username=3007
secret=mypassword
context=from-sip

[3008]
type=friend
host=dynamic
username=3008
secret=mypassword
context=from-sip

Using your web browser to config the phone, verify:
Settings/SIP/Lines
  Account = 3007 (to match above sip.conf def)
  Registrar = ip address of asterisk box
  Action = proxy
  Account = 3008 (to match above sip.conf def)
  Registrar = ip address of asterisk box
  Action = proxy
Settings/SIP/Stack
  Outbound Proxy, Registrar is outbound proxy = yes
Settings/SIP/Authentication
  Line 1, Realm = asterisk, Username = 3007, Pasword = mypassword
  Line 2, Realm = asterisk, Username = 3008, Pasword = mypassword
Settings/Key Mapping
  P1 = Line, Number = 3007
  P2 = Line, Number = 3008

After ensuring your phone settings actually match the sip.conf settings
and that you've properly selected "Save" after changing each of the above
entries in the phone, then reboot the phone. If the phone prompts you to
download another firmware image, simply press ESC. (Seems some config
changes don't take effect until after a phone reboot.)

The above config has been working fine with the last several (estimate
about 10) firmware versions, however the "user" interaction with several of
the keys are rather non-intuitive (or even backwards) for US users.

For example, if you answer an incoming call on Line 1 (x3007 above) and place
that call on hold using the "Hold" key, then select Line 2 (x3008) to do a
consultive call to a different extn, you have to press the ESC key to hang
up that second consultive call.  If instead of pressing the ESC key you
simply press Line 1 to return to the original call, Line 2 is automatically
put on hold (instead of dropping the line as it does in the US). If you're
not paying attention to the LEDs, you've now tied up the second line/extn
until such time as you muck around to release it.

If that second (consultive) call happens to be to a pstn user and your
Central Office supports calling-party line supervision, you've probably
tied up that person's telephone line as well. (Email comments to snom
resulted in push-back, suggesting the ESC key is the proper way to drop
that second line. I'd guess US users (not techie's) will object to using
the phone in any form of production telephony.)

I've not tried the 200 with the later CVS versions, so don't have a clue as
to what you're milage may be.

Rich