[Asterisk-Users] Re: What technology could my phone company be using?

Doug Meredith doug.meredith at skyridge.com
Wed Jan 21 16:25:04 MST 2004

"Jon Pounder" <JonP at inline.net> wrote:

>> I live in New Brunswick Canada.  The phone company is Aliant.  When
>> you set up business service here, you can go with either analog or
>> digital lines.  This isn't a T1 or ISDN.  They are talking individual
>> lines direct to handsets that they provide.  They offer the digital
>> option with even very small ( 2 - 4) number of lines.
>
>I am guessing DSL to a hybrid box like one of the ones from ZHONE that
>split off several pots lines or isdn lines, and a high speed serial line
>(normally configured as frame relay for whatever bandwidth is left over)
>
>This "box" could be at your demarc much like you would have your T1
>"modem" (T1 is actually delivered over HDSL on a single pair, and then the
>modem box splits it out onto the the familiar tx and rx pairs)
>
>In this case the handsets could be either analog or isdn depending what
>"flavour" box they provide.
>
>They could also be just giving you an adsl circuit, and a dumb modem/hub,
>and providing unique ips to IP phones that you happen to plug in, but
>there would not be any network connection to the internet, just to their
>voip headend at the CO.

I think this technology pre-dates DSL and maybe even ISDN.  It is also
deployed in large organizations with hundreds of phones.  I think they
use this for Centrex.  It seems to use RJ-11 connectors and flat
wires, if this means anything to anyone.  I believe the phones are
Nortel.

Doug
--
Doug Meredith (doug.meredith at systemguard.com)