[Asterisk-Users] What technology could my phone company be using?

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Wed Jan 21 11:33:39 MST 2004

> I live in New Brunswick Canada.  The phone company is Aliant.  When
> you set up business service here, you can go with either analog or
> digital lines.  This isn't a T1 or ISDN.  They are talking individual
> lines direct to handsets that they provide.  They offer the digital
> option with even very small ( 2 - 4) number of lines.

I am guessing DSL to a hybrid box like one of the ones from ZHONE that
split off several pots lines or isdn lines, and a high speed serial line
(normally configured as frame relay for whatever bandwidth is left over)

This "box" could be at your demarc much like you would have your T1
"modem" (T1 is actually delivered over HDSL on a single pair, and then the
modem box splits it out onto the the familiar tx and rx pairs)

In this case the handsets could be either analog or isdn depending what
"flavour" box they provide.

They could also be just giving you an adsl circuit, and a dumb modem/hub,
and providing unique ips to IP phones that you happen to plug in, but
there would not be any network connection to the internet, just to their
voip headend at the CO.

All these alternatives save them money since they can be delivered to you
on one pair, and support what seems like 4 or more physical lines.