[Asterisk-Users] Power Over Ethernet for *any* ethernet switch (or hub); product idea

Ken Alker ken at impulse.net
Wed Jan 21 01:54:18 MST 2004

--On Wednesday, January 21, 2004 12:56 AM +0000 Adthrawn
<adthrawn at adthrawn.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>> [...]
>>> Assume I have a non-POE switch with 24 RJ-45 (ethernet)=20
>>> ports.  I design a=20
>>> 1U box that can be mounted just above/below the non-POE=20
>>> switch, call it a=20
>>> "POEI" (POE inserter).  This box has 48 RJ-45 ports, 24=20
>> [...]
>>> Are POE switches expensive enough to warrant manufacturing=20
>>> above? If not, is there a case for not having to swap out all=20
>>> of ones existing=20
>>> switches?
>> [...]
>> Depends on what "expensive" means, and whether your switces are due for
>> replacemtn or not.  And what you intended to replace them with not
>> counting PoE.  The difference between Catalyst 2950-XL-24s and
>> 3524-PRW-XL's is about $300.
>
> HP Blade Switches (most of the ProCurve range) can take the new HP PoE
> blades (only just started shipping), which essentially upgrade your
> enterprise switch for a hell of a lot less.

4000M?

>> The difference on a large Catalyst switch is about $5-10/port if I
>> recall correctly from my last deployment.
>
> It's peanuts really. Compare it to the cost of 48 power adaptors
> (virtually no IP phone is shipped with a PSU).
>
>>> Does something like this already exist for cheap?
>> Yes.  Several.
>
> Indeed - we even resell a great brand in the UK
>
>>> If so, is it any good?
>> Yes.  Many work just fine.
>>
>>> If so, does it need more features?
>> To do what?  It's called a mid-span power injector.  The ones I've seen
>> do that and nothing else.  I'd say they are living up to their task.
>
> The brand we resell has a number of remote management features - allowing
> you to remotely check on the health of each port, power drains, port
> status and has some remote tools for flashing power, and shutting power
> off to certain ports (like badly wired 10baseT devices that may be hard
> wired to each pin).
>
> Cisco also produces a simple unit called the PWR-PANEL that is just a
> basic injector with RPS options.
>
>>> If not, would you buy something like this?
>>> If so, what features have I missed?
>>> If so, what is it worth?
>> Google the rest of your answers.  You're about 6 years too late to
>> catch
>> the first run of this train.
>
> Ditto - we've already got them!
>
> Regards,
> Ad.

 Ken Alker         ken at impulse.net            ham radio: KA6SDU
 Impulse Internet Services               http://www.impulse.net
 Santa Barbara,  San Luis Obispo,  Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange
 T-3 / T-1 / ADSL / ISDN / 56K / web hosting / wireless / co-lo