[Asterisk-Users] Power Over Ethernet for *any* ethernet switch (or hub); product idea

Adthrawn adthrawn at adthrawn.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 17:56:02 MST 2004

> [...]
>> Assume I have a non-POE switch with 24 RJ-45 (ethernet)=20
>> ports.  I design a=20
>> 1U box that can be mounted just above/below the non-POE=20
>> switch, call it a=20
>> "POEI" (POE inserter).  This box has 48 RJ-45 ports, 24=20
> [...]
>> Are POE switches expensive enough to warrant manufacturing=20
>> above? If not, is there a case for not having to swap out all=20
>> of ones existing=20
>> switches?
> [...]
> Depends on what "expensive" means, and whether your switces are due for
> replacemtn or not.  And what you intended to replace them with not
> counting PoE.  The difference between Catalyst 2950-XL-24s and
> 3524-PRW-XL's is about $300.

HP Blade Switches (most of the ProCurve range) can take the new HP PoE
blades (only just started shipping), which essentially upgrade your
enterprise switch for a hell of a lot less.

> The difference on a large Catalyst switch is about $5-10/port if I
> recall correctly from my last deployment.

It's peanuts really. Compare it to the cost of 48 power adaptors
(virtually no IP phone is shipped with a PSU).

>> Does something like this already exist for cheap?
> Yes.  Several.

Indeed - we even resell a great brand in the UK

>> If so, is it any good?
> Yes.  Many work just fine.
>
>> If so, does it need more features?
> To do what?  It's called a mid-span power injector.  The ones I've seen
> do that and nothing else.  I'd say they are living up to their task.

The brand we resell has a number of remote management features -
allowing you to remotely check on the health of each port, power
drains, port status and has some remote tools for flashing power, and
shutting power off to certain ports (like badly wired 10baseT devices
that may be hard wired to each pin).

Cisco also produces a simple unit called the PWR-PANEL that is just a
basic injector with RPS options.

>> If not, would you buy something like this?
>> If so, what features have I missed?
>> If so, what is it worth?
> Google the rest of your answers.  You're about 6 years too late to
> catch
> the first run of this train.

Ditto - we've already got them!

Regards,